MariposaBath

A small home-based business providing quality handcrafted soaps,lotions, creams,gift baskets and much more.

Friday, May 26, 2006

I Lye

About a couple of months ago, I was down to just one can of Red Devil drain cleaner. Well that may not mean much to someone who doesn't know anything about the soapmaking process but to a soapmaker it means that without it you can't make soap. You can't make true soap without lye or sodium hydroxide. Well a few months before I started running out, I knew that I would have to find another source for lye and that meant buying it in bulk. So I told my husband Tim that we would have to make a trip to Dallas to buy some caustic soda ash or as it's more commonly called lye. So we went to Taylored Concepts (it's a candle and soap supply store) and bought 50 lbs. of lye. Oh I forgot to tell ya'll why I was having to find another source of lye! The company that makes Red Devil drain cleaner decided to stop making it. It has been really convienent to just run down to the store and get more lye when I need it, but sometimes I don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago. I'm saving so much more money by buying it in bulk. An 18 oz. can of Red Devil cost me about $5.00 a can and 50 lbs. of lye is about $40.00. That's a whopping big savings. So don't worry I'll be making soap for a long time.

2 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger Pacific College Mom said...

I tried making soap once using lye and my hands and eyes swelled up so big I had to go to the hospital and get treated...
The closest thing I have done to soapmaking since then is French Milling. Buying from you is easier!

PCM

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I'm glad that you're ok. You could try melt and pour sometime if you wanted to. I've seen some beautiful soaps made with M&P.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home